Building Permits

All new construction, renovations, additions and structural changes require building permits. Permits require property index numbers, registered contractors or hold harmless agreements, and in most cases a plat of survey. A list of registered contractors is available at City Hall through the Building Department.

When do I need a building permit?

In general, if you are making structural changes to your building, you need a permit.

Permits would be required for, but are not limited to:

  • Lawn Sprinklers
  • Garages
  • Roofing
  • Fences
  • Pools (above or in-ground)
  • Sheds
  • Decks
  • Driveways
  • Electrical work
  • Demolitions (EPA permit required)
  • All residential additions
  • All commercial changes or additions
  • All new homes
  • All new construction
  • All fire damaged buildings (pre-inspections & permit needed)
  • Gas hot water tank changed to tank less water heater
  • Change of landscape grade
  • Waste sewage line repair

All permits require a Real Estate Index Number – found on owner’s property tax bill.

Homeowners who do their own work are required to sign a hold-harmless agreement.

Commercial properties must employ a registered contractor.

Sign Permits

All signs (permanent and portable) require a permit, obtainable at City Hall.